WolfClock 3.1 Beta

Handango is pretty close to 15,000 downloads of WolfClock -- much more popular than I imagined. Now if I only made $1 for every download :)

The feedback I've gotten has been great. There's been one persistent bug that I cannot get ironed out, mainly because it's partly an OS issue: an alarm may not wake the device up when it's time to sound.

This problem is not native to WolfClock; rather, it seems native to the PPC 2003 OS. I experienced this problem on my device (an IPaq 2215), but have a workaround that has worked on every device (to my knowledge, at least) except the O2 XDA.

Unfortunately, I do not have an O2 device for testing, so I've continued to try different hacks to make the application wake the device properly. To make matters more complicated, the Compact Framework is a bit limited so, from a high level point of view, there isn't much that can be done except P/Invoking native calls.

In fact, that's what the current version does, and has for some time (probably since the version 1.0 days). To see if it makes any difference, I've changed the device wake-up code to a completely unmanaged C++ executable. This will help isolate whether the problem lies in the .NET framework or with the device itself. Included in the install is PowerUp.exe; when WolfClock registers itself with OS to launch at a specific time, this executable is also registered.

To download this beta, click here:
WolfClockSetup-v31b4.exe (1.5 MB)

Feel free to post feedback here on whether or not this version makes any difference, as well as sugestions for future revisions.

Note: This version also enables Debug Mode by default, writing events/errors to a log.xml file located in the installation folder. This file may contain useful information, so include it if possible.

** UPDATE **
Oops! I goofed on the the latest build. I had been tweaking the application for Microsoft "Compliance" and in doing so, broke one of the alarm pages. The latest is beta 3, and is available above!

Comments (12) -

Richard Wolf
Richard Wolf
5/31/2005 5:32:28 PM #

Yeah I'll donate, I love the app. Where can I send $ securely.

For the next version I suggest allowing linking of jpegs via a folder browse (including the storage card). A shuffle list reorder ala WMP would be nifty too.

mork
mork
10/9/2005 8:36:09 AM #

This app looks great but it has a problem with wm2003se, when the screen goes off all sound (not just wolf clock) stops working, i would happily donate if it would help get this fixed and would be happy to help test on my HTC Blue Angel based device

Romuald RICHARD
Romuald RICHARD
10/9/2005 1:52:38 PM #

Nice,I enjoy it.
Any news from the developer? it looks like there is nothing from V3.

mork
mork
10/9/2005 7:08:23 PM #

I think i have got it working, i installed the latest .net framework compact framework (SP3) and the WolfClockSetup-v31b4.exe from here.
Seems to turn on now wether wolf clock is running or not, brilliant program highly recommened.
Will keep people posted if i have any other problems

mork
mork
10/10/2005 12:33:37 AM #

Will keep people posted if i have any other problems

Brian
Brian
10/10/2005 5:45:57 AM #

Thanks for the feedback--

I haven't posted any new bits yet for Wolfclock (I'm the developer) but feel free to leave feedback here or on my contact page.

I figured I would wait until v2 of the .NET Compact Framework came out to give it another revision, including support for higher resolution displays.  As of yet, though, I don't have a timeframe.

mork
mork
10/12/2005 4:19:04 AM #

Brian, Great to know you monitor the comments! Would be v interested in new versions (and donating to them). Will be interesting to see what new features .NET v2 will offer (higher res will be good).
One feature i would like is the ability to set the snooze time for and alarm. i.e. 10minute snooze for my weekday wakeup alarm and a 30minute snooze for my weekend.
As i said if you ever need help testing or donations let us know

Maia
Maia
1/24/2006 4:09:07 AM #

Hi Brian:

I just stumbled upon this site.  I am one of your original users who gave you feedback way back in version1.  I still use your program exclusively and still love it.  I just keep my power plugged in when I use it as an alarm clock to ensure it wakes up.  There still is no better clock than yours no matter about the bug.

Rau
Rau
2/6/2006 3:14:35 PM #

if somoone has met the problem that wolfclock coundnot alarm when it has been turn off , u can just try not to install it under your SD card and the problem will be work out.Of course you should installed the latest .net framework compact framework (SP3) and even v2.0 is needed.
Welcome to post here and thank Brian again!

Rau
Rau
2/6/2006 9:44:18 PM #

Hi Brian !
Now v2 of the .NET Compact Framework has already come out and remember to distribute a new revision of Wolfclock if u have spare time!
We bless u lonewolf !

Senthil
Senthil
4/18/2006 6:32:20 PM #

Hi Brian,

Great work! Any updates on supporting VGA higher resolution

redinable
redinable
4/21/2006 4:49:31 PM #

Hello,

This is a very good software. Thanks to the developper
I would like just to make a suggestion.
If we can give each alarm a name that will be great. In this case this software could be used as a reminder too.

Thanks again to the developper